Sign Up Instructions
Review this page in its entirety, prior to signing up for a new CAC Culture Grants user account. You may wish to have these Sign Up Instructions open in a separate browser tab or window for reference while completing the Sign Up process.
Before you begin, please note the following:
Prior to creating a new user account, verify that an existing one does not already exist. If you are unsure if your organization has an existing user account, contact the Program Specialist for the grant program you will be applying to.
A user account may only be created by an authorized representative of the applicant organization.
Account credentials may be securely shared with other authorized agency staff requiring access.
Account information should be reflective of the applicant organization, and not external parties, such as a fiscal sponsor or contracted grant writer.
Step I: Provide User Account Information
After verifying that a user account for the applicant organization does not already exist:
1. Select “Sign Up” at the top right of the main navigation bar, or within the stacked menu icon. This will take you to the User Information page where you will complete each of the required fields marked with a red asterisk.
2. Provide Contact and Mailing Address field information. Address fields should reflect the address to reach the contact individual at the applicant organization.
3. Create a Username. IMPORTANT: The Username should be generic to the applicant organization, and should not be specific to any one individual. For example, a Username generic to California Arts Council could be “CAC_Grants”.
4. Create and confirm a valid Password. To create a valid Password, follow these four rules:
Minimum 8 characters (case sensitive)
Minimum 1 uppercase letter
Minimum 1 numeric character
Minimum 1 special character (e.g. @, !, or *)
5. Answer the dropdown question “Associate this user account with a specific organization?” by selecting “Yes”. This will allow CAC Culture Grants to associate your Username with one specific organization.
6. Complete the verification action and click the green "Submit" button.
Step II: Provide Applicant Organization Details
Complete each of the required fields marked with a red asterisk:
1. Verify Applicant status. IMPORTANT: All CAC Culture Grants users must indicate "Distributor/Direct Receiver" under the "Organization Role" dropdown option.
2. Provide the Legal Name of the Applicant Organization. Please note that regardless of organizational type, all applicants are considered "Organizations" within the CAC Culture Grants system. If your organization does not have a legally recognized name, you may provide the organization's primary common or popular working name in the “Legal Name of Applicant Organization” field.
3. Provide a Popular Name (optional). If applicable, you may provide a commonly used popular name, or variation of the legal name. Do not provide acronyms or abbreviations unless regularly used in official communications.
4. Indicate the Date of Incorporation. Provide the date your organization received its 501(c)(3) status and was formed. Enter in format MM//DD/YYYY or use the calendar tool to select a date. Select the month header to view a list of months and years.
Exception: If you are applying to a grant program where fiscal sponsorships are allowed and Incorporation is not required, you may indicate the first date that artistic programs or services under the applicant organization name had begun.
5. Provide Federal EIN and DUNS Numbers.
All Applicants are required to provide a Federal Employer Identification Number (Federal EIN Number) and Dun & Bradstreet Number (DUNS Number) at the time of application.
If your organization does not currently have either of these numbers, and/or will be applying in partnership with a Fiscal Sponsor for eligible grant programs, leave these fields blank. You will instead be providing your Fiscal Sponsor's numbers within your grant application.
If your organization will not be using a Fiscal Sponsor, you must provide both a Federal EIN Number and a DUNS Number. Please refer to following websites for additional information.
IMPORTANT: Ensure the Organization's Federal EIN number and full and complete legal name are correct. Once completed, these fields cannot be changed.
Tip: If your organization does not yet have a DUNS number, and will not be applying with a Fiscal Sponsor (for grant programs which allow Fiscal Sponsors), a DUNS Number can usually be acquired within a few days to a couple of weeks. You may create your CAC Culture Grants user account now, but should return to the “My Organization” tab once your account has been created to update this field. Be sure you leave ample time to secure a DUNS Number well in advance of grant application deadlines.
6. Provide Organizational Mailing Address.
7. Provide Organization Phone, Fax (optional), and Website.
8. With organizational address information entered, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the green “Validate & Submit” button. After a few moments, the system will automatically populate the codes for your organization’s Congressional District, State House District, and State Senate District.
If you receive an error message stating “Invalid FEIN Number”, check your entry and try again. If you still receive this error message, the Federal EIN number may already be registered in CAC Culture Grants through an existing user account. Contact the Program Specialist for the grant program you will be applying to.
Step III: Review and Agree to Terms and Conditions
After successfully submitting your contact and organizational details, you will be taken to the GO™: Grants Online End User Terms and Conditions page.
Review the Terms and Conditions and click “I Agree”.
After verification, you will be taken to the “My Data” tab from the system Dashboard. Available applications may be found on the “Open Applications” tab.